Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pentecost 22 - October 28, 2012

  • Organ Prelude: Elegy – C.H. Lloyd 
  • Opening Hymn 343 “When all thy mercies, O my God” 
  • Service Music: David Hurd 
  • Psalm 34: 1-8 
  • Anthem: Expectans, expectavi – Sir Charles Wood
    This sanctuary of my soul, Unwitting I keep white and whole,
    Unlatch'd and lit, if Thou should'st care To enter or to tarry there.
    With parted lips and outstretch'd hands, And list'ning ears
    Thy servant stands. Call Thou early, call Thou late,
    to Thy great service dedicate. My soul, keep white, and whole.
  • Offertory Hymn 508 “I heard the voice of Jesus say” 
  • Communion Hymn 620 “How sweet the name of Jesus sounds” 
  • Final Hymn 306 “O for a thousand tongues to sing” 
  • Organ Postlude: Prelude in C major BWV 545 – J.S. Bach
Music Notes:

Charles Hamilton Sorley (1895 – 1915) was a British World War I poet who was shot during the Battle of Loos, and whose life and work are commemorated on a stone in Poet’s Corner, Westminster Abbey. The text of today’s anthem is taken from the final two verses of Sorley’s “Expectans, expectavi” (translated as ‘I waited patiently’) ..... here are the opening verses:
FROM morn to midnight, all day through,
I laugh and play as others do,
I sin and chatter, just the same
As others with a different name.
And all year long upon the stage,

I dance and tumble and do rage
So vehemently, I scarcely see
The inner and eternal me.
I have a temple I do not
Visit, a heart I have forgot,

A self that I have never met,
A secret shrine—and yet, and yet ......
As a composer, Charles Wood (1866-1926) exhibited "fastidious taste and fine scholarship". Wood was an important teacher at Cambridge University where he became Professor of Music in 1924 following Stanford's death. “Expectans expectavi” was published in 1919. It is slightly unusual in its construction: it has a short and effective pianissimo coda, and a bar of silence before the build-up to the climax begins.

NOVEMBER 11

Bagpiper ROB CRABTREE is the special guest at “Remembering”, our November 11 concert. He’s an internationally known artist and teacher, having won several competitions including the Gold Medal in 1998 at Braemar, Scotland. In 1999 his first recording “The Piper’s Legacy” was nominated for a Juno award, and he has since released three other albums. Rob Crabtree will join with our choir and soloists to present a varied programme of music associated with Remembrance Day, including some ‘singalong’ pieces such as ‘The Maple Leaf Forever’ and “It’s a Long Way to Tipperary”. We hope you’ll join us, and invite your friends and family members to come and enjoy an hour or so of music and a glass of sherry after the concert. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door and are available from choir members following this morning’s service.

No comments:

Post a Comment