Sunday, April 2, 2017

Palm Sunday - Sunday, April 9, 2017

Service Music: Kyrie by Herbert Austin (CP 704); Sanctus & Benedictus and Agnus Dei by Bruce E. Ford (adapted from Plainsong)
  • Organ: Fantasia chromatica – Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck (1562-1621)
  • Processional Hymn: 181 All Glory, Laud, and Honour
  • Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29 (read responsively)
  • Gradual Hymn: “Praise to You, O God, Creator” (Tune: Nettleton)
Praise to You, O God, Creator,
Pour Your blessings from above.
Praise to You, O Son, Redeemer,
Wash me in Your precious Blood.

Praise to You, O God, Sustainer,
Give your Grace so I’m set free.
Praise to You, Lord Jesus, Saviour,
Died for me upon the Tree.

Praise to you, O Holy Spirit,
Comforts, heals, my guiding Friend.
With your loving presence heal me,
Make me truly whole again.

When in life I’m weak and weary,
Hope has gone and I’m forlorn.
When relationships are hurting,
Fraught with trouble, worn and torn,

Then You come, O blessed Spirit,
Then you breathe new life in me.
Set my feet where I must travel,
Set my eyes your Love to see.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Stay within this heart of mine.
Close to You in Love and Action,
Through Your Trinity Divine.

    - Written in Lent 2016 by Hilda Robinson Bell 
       (formerly of St. Barnabas; sister of Helen Taylor)
  • Offertory And Can It Be (Tune: Sagina)
And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Saviour's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Refrain: Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me!

He left His Father's throne above
(so free, so infinite His grace),
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race;
'Tis mercy all, immense and free;
For, O my God, it reaches me! [Refrain]

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light.
My chains fell off, my heart was free;
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee. [Refrain]

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach th'eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own. [Refrain]

    - Text by Charles Wesley, 1739
  • Anthem:  Stabat mater – Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
Stabat mater dolorosa
juxta Crucem lacrimosa,
dum pendebat Fílius.

Cuius animam gementem,
contristatam et doléntem
pertransivit gladius.

O quam tristis et afflícta
fuit illa benedicta,
mater Unigeniti!

Quae moerebat et dolebat,
pia Mater, dum videbat
nati poenas inclyti..

At the cross her station keeping,

stood the mournful mother weeping,
close to her son to the last.

Through her heart, his sorrow sharing,
all his bitter anguish bearing,
now at length the sword has passed.

O how sad and sore distressed

was that mother, highly blest,
of the sole-begotten one.

Christ above in torment hangs,

she beneath beholds the pangs
of her dying glorious son.

    - Text by Sir H. Baker (from the Latin)
  • Communion Hymn: 51 Now, My Tongue, the Mystery Telling
  • Closing Hymn: 602 Lift High the Cross
  • Organ: Fugue in D Minor, BWV 539 – J. S. Bach (1685-1750)

View/download the complete April 2017 music list here »
Visit St. Barnabas website here »

No comments:

Post a Comment